Permits and diplomas

In certain sectors you need to obtain permits and diplomas before you can start a business.

Establishment requirements

The Bedrijfstechniek business diploma is required for more complex businesses which place extra demands on the entrepreneur. Examples are:

  • Food products (bakers and confectioners, butchers, fishmongers and poulterers)
  • Construction (building contractors, civil and utility construction, masons, demolition companies, carpenters, civil, soil and hydraulic engineering)
  • Installation sector (electromechanical installation businesses, gas and water fitters, plumbers, central heating, air-conditioning and cooling companies, greenhouse heating)
  • Automobile sector (car dealers, garage and body work businesses, agricultural machinery, motorcycle dealers and panel beaters)

Do you need a professional diploma?

Under the Vestigingswet (Establishment of Businesses Act), you do not need any specific knowledge of the field in which you exercise your profession. The Act assumes that the entrepreneurs have or will obtain the necessary professional knowledge and expertise in order to guarantee the quality of their products or services. Banks do often set conditions related to professional knowledge when giving loans.

There is one exception to the above list: bakers, butchers and electromechanical installation businesses have to obtain a Vaktechniek professional diploma as well as the Bedrijfstechniek business diploma

Knowledge of the professional discipline is essential for entrepreneurs if they wish to be recognized as professionals by their colleagues. Branch organizations run a number of courses.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Expatax assists with:

Recent posts